This volume of Fourth International, the former quarterly theoretical journal of the International Committee of the Fourth International (ICFI), was published in 1987. In addition to a number of critical articles published in the Bulletin, the newspaper of the Workers League (the predecessor of the Socialist Equality Party in the United States), it contains the statements of the Third Plenum of the ICFI, held from March 10–23 of that year.
These include the March 18, 1987, statement “No to Stalinism and the Popular Front! Build the Fourth International!”, which deals with the proposed fusion between the British renegades of the Workers Revolutionary Party (WRP), led by Cliff Slaughter, and the Morenoite Movement towards Socialism (MAS) in Argentina. In the aftermath of their break with the ICFI, Slaughter and his supporters claimed that a new foundation for the Fourth International would be created through an alliance with the organization of the notorious Argentine opportunist, Nahuel Moreno. The document provides a review of the history of the political origins and history of the tendency of Morenoism in Latin America.
“What Is Happening in the USSR,” also produced at the ICFI Third Plenum, analyzed the policies of perestroika and glasnost pursued by the Soviet bureaucracy as it prepared the dissolution of socalized property relations and the restoration of capitalism in the Soviet Union.1
This book is available for purchase from Mehring Books. Get your copy today.Purchase from Mehring Books
- No to Stalinism and the Popular Front! Build the Fourth International!
- What is Happening in the USSR? Gorbachev and the Crisis of Stalinism
- Build the ICFI in Latin America! For the Permanent Revolution!
- An Open Letter to Cliff Slaughter from Alan Gelfand
- A Comment by David North on the Gelfand Open Letter
- Second Letter to Cliff Slaughter from Alan Gelfand
- The Greek WRP Attempts a Political Fraud
- Healy renounces the Permanent Revolution
- Sri Lanka Police State Plans Exposed
- An Open Letter from the Revolutionary Communist League to the Workers Revolutionary Party